Saturday, January 16, 2010

An Interview with Aamyre Tarique


Aamyre Taryque is a Karachi based Fashion-Designer who graduated from the Asian Institute of Fashion Design on four scholarships and a GPA of 3.54. His thesis was themed Music and had segments about Cocktail Dresses, South Asian Wear, Negative & Positive and Ball gown.

He’s been a part of the visiting faculty at the Textile Institute of Pakistan and the Fashion Apparel Design and Training Institute, Karachi University and has also worked with Rajby Industries and Dawood Lawrencepur Limited.

He’s currently working for EGO which won the Best Fashion Brand Award at the LUX Style Awards 2008. He’s also working for DAWNNEWS TV where he is the head of wardrobe for the entire channel.


Q. Have you always known you wanted to be a designer...?
A. Nope, I had no idea I would end up becoming a designer

Q. So what did you want to be growing up?
A. As a child, postman.. I have no idea why *laughs* but when I was a bit older I wanted to become a software developer & a hacker.

Q. Cute... So how did the transition to fashion occur...? And what have you done your bachelors/masters in...?
A. Fashion Design, it just happened. I have a bachelor in fashion design

Q. Where from?
A. I decided to do something different and fashion seemed like something I could do. After my first semester in AIFD I got a scholarship and from there on I continued. I wanted to do law or something else after my bachelors and work for social welfare but Fashion is what I ended up doing.

Q. So tell us about your entry into the fashion industry in Pakistan...?
Once you had graduated of course…
A. I started freelance work for export six months before my graduation (Jan 2004)
And by the time I graduated I had plenty of freelance work.. I started working in October 2004 for Lawrencepur.

Q. Have you shown any of your collections yet?
A. No and I don’t intend to, not yet at least

Q. Why ever not?
A. I see how everyone is so eager to showcase their collection.. I am not, there is still much more to learn and experience. When I am ready I will bring you an invitation to my show personally

Q. What do you find yourself more interested in? Pret or Haute Couture?
A. At this point, a bit of both although couture is too big of a term to be used as often as it is here now a days. I love designing knit wear, denim and sports wear (performance based wear) too.

Q. I heard a designer use the term 'demi-couture' for what we make here in Pakistan, they said it was all about bridal wear and that was just about it. What do you have to say about this?
A. No comment.

Q. But please, come on! Do tell us what you have to say about this... (We have a no censorship policy) *winks*
A. Fashion Industry goes beyond bridal wear. That's actually where the international capital is... That’s all I am going to say

Q. I get what you're saying perfectly well! What would your prospective collection be composed of? In terms of design genre i.e.
A. I am a Science fiction fan and a closet nerd... It’ll have something to do with Star Wars most probably. And it will mostly be knit wear

Q. Are you inspired by or fond of any designers in particular and why...?

A. I tend to get inspired by non conventional things... fashion itself doesn’t necessarily inspire me.. Its people and things around me that do.. I am not fond of any designer in particular either. The most inspired I have ever been by someone were my students.

Q. That's an awfully sweet thing to say... Or are you just aware this interview will end up on four different places online...? Haaahahahaaa...
A. *Laughs* I’m just speaking out.

Q. Good for you! So besides fashion, what else do you love doing?
A. I enjoy video games, spending time with my friends and when I get a chance, I like to give back to the society in whatever way I can.. My ultimate goal is to retire from fashion industry in another ten yrs and work full time for the social welfare of senior citizens and orphans

Q. So you get to live both your dreams in one life time, very nice. What are you currently working on? Or for?
A. I am working on a plan for a foundation which in future will be able to provide free/cheap accommodation to the senior citizens. There is still plenty to do. We are at a very initial stage at this point

Q. But don't you think that your project might be highly controversial given the family values this part of the world is known for...?
A. It's a challenge, but I think we are ready to accept that there is a need for such homes. It’s only the matter of time.

Q. Hmm... Fashion design is still something of an unaccepted profession among our older generations, how has your family reacted over the years?
A. To be honest, there was no reaction. I think it wouldn’t have made a difference if I was a banker or a designer to them

Q. To any aspiring designers reading this, is there anything you'd like to say...?
A. Two things, be inspired by everything since beauty is merely a perception. And take your social responsibilities seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment